Preserved lemons and olives add authentic flavour to this traditional chicken tagine.
The ingredient of Chicken tagine with olives and preserved lemon
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 teaspoon ground paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Ground black pepper, to taste
- 4 chicken marylands, halved at the joint
- 1/2 teaspoon saffron strands
- 1 tablespoon hot water
- 1/3 cup fresh coriander leaves, chopped
- 1/3 cup fresh continental parsley leaves, chopped
- 1 brown onion, diced
- 1L (4 cups) water, approximately
- 60g (about 12) green olives, rinsed, drained
- 60g (about 12) kalamata olives, rinsed, drained
- 100g rind from preserved lemon, chopped
- Prepared couscous, to serve
The instruction how to make Chicken tagine with olives and preserved lemon
- Place the oil, lemon juice, garlic, paprika, ginger, salt and pepper in a small bowl and mix to a paste. Place the chicken in a non-aluminium bowl and rub the paste over each piece. Cover with plastic wrap and place in the fridge for at least 3 hours or overnight to marinate.
- Soak the saffron in the hot water for 10 minutes. Reserve 1 tablespoon of each of the herbs. Place the chicken pieces, saffron mixture, remaining herbs and onion in a large saucepan. Add enough water to just cover the chicken and bring to the boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook for 30 minutes.
- Add the green olives, kalamata olives and preserved lemon rind to the pan and cook, covered, for a further 15 minutes. Transfer the chicken pieces to a large bowl and cover with foil to keep warm.
- Bring the liquid to the boil over medium-high heat and cook, uncovered, for 15 minutes or until reduced by a quarter.
- Divide the couscous among serving bowls. Top with the chicken and sauce, and sprinkle with the reserved herbs.
Nutritions of Chicken tagine with olives and preserved lemoncalories: 384.551 calories
calories: 25 grams fat
calories: 5 grams saturated fat
calories: 3 grams carbohydrates
calories: 37 grams protein
calories: 1162.88 milligrams sodium