A rich and decadent soup to start off the festive celebrations.
The ingredient of Spiced parsnip soup
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp coriander seeds
- 1/2 tsp cardamom seeds
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 40g unsalted butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 3cm piece ginger, grated
- 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 2 Granny Smith apples
- 500g parsnips, peeled, chopped
- 3 cups (750ml) Massel chicken style liquid stock
- 1 tbsp caster sugar
- Creme fraiche, to serve
- Flat-leaf parsley leaves, chopped, to serve
The instruction how to make Spiced parsnip soup
- Toast cumin, coriander and cardamom in a dry frypan over medium heat for 1 minute or until fragrant. Transfer to a mortar and pestle and grind to a powder. Set aside.
- Heat 1 tbs oil and 20g butter in a pan over medium-low heat. Cook onion with 1/4 tsp salt for 4-5 minutes until softened. Add garlic, ginger, turmeric, garam marsala and ground spices, and cook for 1 minute or until fragrant. Peel, core and roughly chop one apple and add to pan with parsnip, stock and 1/2 cup (125ml) water. Bring to a simmer, then reduce heat to low. Cook, covered, for 40-45 minutes until parsnips are very tender. Remove from heat, cool slightly, then transfer to a blender and whiz until smooth. Return to pan. Remove from heat and keep warm.
- Slice remaining apple into thin rounds. Heat remaining 1 tbs oil and 20g butter in a frypan over medium heat. Add sugar and stir until dissolved. Add apple and cook for 1 minute each side or until golden.
- Divide soup among bowls and garnish with apple, creme fraiche and parsley.
Nutritions of Spiced parsnip soupcalories: