Fruity filling inside a crisp pastry shell with melt-in-the-mouth meringue topping, makes a sensational finale to a Christmas menu.
The ingredient of Cranberry and lemon meringue pies
- 150g frozen cranberries
- 270g caster sugar
- 25g cornflour
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 30g unsalted butter, chopped
- 2 eggs, separated, plus 1 extra eggwhite
- 11/2 cups (225g) plain flour
- 2 tablespoons icing sugar
- 100g chilled unsalted butter, chopped
- 1 egg
The instruction how to make Cranberry and lemon meringue pies
- Grease six 10cm loose-bottomed tart pans. For pastry, process flour, sugar and butter in a food processor until the mixture resembles fine crumbs. Add egg and 2 tablespoons chilled water. Process until pastry comes together in a smooth ball. Enclose in plastic wrap and chill for 30 minutes. Divide pastry into 6 portions and roll each into a ball. Roll out pastry portions on a lightly floured board and use to line pans. Chill for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile: place berries, 100g sugar and 1/4 cup (60ml) water in a pan over low heat and stir until sugar dissolves. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes or until all the liquid is absorbed.
- Preheat oven to 180u00b0C. Line tarts with baking paper and fill with pastry weights or uncooked rice. Bake for 10 minutes, then remove paper and weights or rice. Bake for 5 minutes or until golden. Cool.
- Meanwhile: place 50g sugar and 200ml water in a pan. Remove 1 tablespoon water and stir to a paste with cornflour. Place pan over low heat and stir to dissolve sugar, then add zest, juice and cornflour paste. Simmer for 2 minutes, then remove from heat and whisk in butter and yolks. Cool.
- Turn oven to 190u00b0C. Using electric beaters, whisk the 3 eggwhites and a pinch of salt to stiff peaks. Gradually whisk in remaining 120g sugar, then beat until glossy. Place tarts on a baking tray, fill with lemon mixture, then top with a spoonful of cranberry mixture. Place meringue in a piping bag with a large star nozzle, then use to top tarts. Turn oven to 170u00b0C. Bake for 5-6 minutes until meringue is tinged golden. Cool tarts slightly before removing from pans, then serve warm or at room temperature.
Nutritions of Cranberry and lemon meringue piescalories: