Master the art of these delicate delights and whip up heavenly, airy desserts like a pro - its surprisingly simple.
The ingredient of Lemon meringue pies
- 1 cup (150g) plain flour
- 1/4 cup (45g) icing sugar mixture
- 100g chilled butter, chopped
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 eggs, lightly whisked
- 100ml thin cream
- 1/4 cup (55g) caster sugar
- 2 teaspoons finely grated lemon rind
- 1/4 cup (60ml) lemon juice
- 2 eggwhites
- 1/3 cup (70g) caster sugar
The instruction how to make Lemon meringue pies
- To make the pastry, process the flour, icing sugar and butter in a food processor until mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add the egg yolk and process until mixture just comes together. Gently knead on a lightly floured surface until smooth. Shape into a disc. Cover with plastic wrap and place in the fridge for 15 minutes to rest.
- Divide dough into 8 even portions. Roll a portion on a lightly floured surface to a 3mm-thick disc. Line a 6cm fluted tartlet tin with a removable base with the pastry. Trim edges. Repeat with remaining pastry. Place in the fridge for 30 minutes to rest.
- Meanwhile, to make the lemon filling, whisk the eggs, cream, sugar, lemon rind and juice together in a large bowl. Place in the fridge for 30 minutes to develop the flavours. Strain through a fine sieve.
- Preheat oven to 200u00b0C. Place the tartlet cases on an oven tray. Line with baking paper and fill with pastry weights or dried rice or beans. Bake in preheated oven for 8 minutes. Remove paper and weights and bake for a further 6-8 minutes or until pastry is light golden. Remove from oven. Reduce oven to 150u00b0C.
- Pour the lemon mixture evenly into the pastry cases. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until custard is almost set. Remove from oven. Set aside for 15 minutes to cool to room temperature. Place in the fridge for 30 minutes to chill.
- Preheat grill to high. To make the meringue, use an electric mixer to whisk the eggwhites in a clean, dry bowl until firm peaks form. Gradually add the sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, whisking constantly until mixture is thick and glossy. Spoon into a piping bag fitted with a 5mm round nozzle. Pipe evenly onto each lemon tartlet. Place under preheated grill for 1-2 minutes or until lightly toasted. Alternatively, use a brulee gun to lightly grill the meringue. Place on serving plates to serve.
Nutritions of Lemon meringue piescalories: