Marion Grasby shares her fail-safe recipe for Tom Yum Soup with us.
The ingredient of Tom yum soup
- 500g medium green prawns
- 1-2 medium red chillies,(see note) plus extra, thinly sliced, to serve
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 3cm piece galangal,(see note) thinly sliced
- 1 stalk lemongrass, bruised, cut into 5cm lengths
- 6 kaffir lime leaves
- 60ml (1/4 cup) fish sauce, plus extra, to taste
- 125ml (1/2 cup) lime juice, plus extra, to taste
- 2 tsp caster sugar
- 100g button mushrooms, quartered
- 100g cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 tbsp roughly chopped coriander, plus extra sprigs, to serve
The instruction how to make Tom yum soup
- Peel and devein prawns, reserving shells and heads (see note). Refrigerate prawns until needed. Roughly chop chillies, then, using a pestle and mortar, grind to a coarse paste.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over high heat, add chilli paste and reserved prawn shells and heads, then cook, stirring, for 2 minutes or until shells change colour. Add 1.5 litres water, bring to the boil, then reduce heat to lowu2013medium and simmer for 10 minutes. Using a ladle, skim foam from surface of stock, making sure to leave some of the red prawn oil. Remove from heat and strain through a fine sieve into a clean saucepan. Discard solids.
- Place pan with prawn stock over mediumu2013high heat, then add galangal, lemongrass, kaffir lime leaves, fish sauce, lime juice and sugar, and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add mushrooms, tomatoes and prawns, and simmer for a further 3 minutes or until prawns are just cooked. Season with extra fish sauce and lime juice to taste, then stir in chopped coriander.
- Ladle soup among bowls, then top with extra chilli and coriander sprigs to serve.
Nutritions of Tom yum soupcalories: