The ingredient of Lemon rhubarb souffles
- 20g (1 tablespoon) butter, at room temperature, for greasing
- 2 tablespoons caster sugar, for coating
- 165g (3/4 cup) caster sugar, extra
- 1 bunch (about 500g) rhubarb, leaves discarded, stalks cut into 2cm pieces, washed
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 teaspoons finely grated lemon rind
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 25g (5 teaspoons) butter
- 25g (2 1/2 tablespoons) plain flour
- 160mls (2/3 cup) milk
- 3 large (59-60g) free-range eggs, at room temperature, separated
- 1 egg white, at room temperature, extra
- Vanilla ice-cream, to serve
The instruction how to make Lemon rhubarb souffles
- Brush bases of eight 125mls (1/2 cup), 9cm diameter (top measurement) ramekins with butter, then use upward strokes to grease the sides. Place in freezer for 5 minutes to set butter. Brush again with remaining butter. Add 2 tablespoons caster sugar to 1 ramekin. Rotate ramekin to coat with sugar. Turn dish upside down and gently tap so sugar falls into next ramekin. Repeat with remaining ramekins.
- Place 1/2 the extra sugar with the rhubarb stalks and water in a medium saucepan over high heat and stir to combine. Bring to the boil, then reduce heat to low and cook, covered, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes or until the rhubarb is soft and the mixture is thick. Set aside to cool for 15 minutes. Divide the rhubarb mixture evenly among the prepared ramekins.
- To make the sauce mixture, place the remaining sugar, lemon rind and lemon juice in a medium heat-resistant bowl and set aside.
- Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat until foaming. Add flour and stir with a whisk for 1 minute or until the roux leaves the side of the pan and is bubbling. Dont allow the roux to brown.
- Remove pan from the heat. Add 1/2 the milk while stirring constantly with the whisk. Stir vigorously until smooth and free of lumps. Gradually stir in remaining milk.
- Return pan to medium heat, stirring constantly, until the sauce thickens and comes to the boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, for 3 minutes.Pour hot sauce into bowl with sugar and lemon and mix with a whisk until smooth.
- Preheat oven to 180u00b0C. Place 1 oven shelf in the bottom position and remove all other shelves. Place a large baking tray on the shelf to heat.
- Add the egg yolks to the lemon sauce and mix well. Place all the egg whites in a clean, dry medium mixing bowl. Use clean electric beaters to whisk the egg whites until soft peaks form.
- Spoon about 1/4 of the egg whites into the lemon sauce mixture and use a spatula or large metal spoon to fold the egg whites through the mixture until just combined. Pour the lemon mixture into the side of the bowl containing the remaining egg whites. Fold in with the spatula or large metal spoon until just combined.
- Pour into prepared ramekins and smooth tops with a spatula. Place ramekins on baking tray in preheated oven and bake for 18-20 minutes. When they are ready, the souffles should be well risen and wobble slightly when the ramekins are tapped. If you are still unsure, test with a skewer through the side of the souffle - it should come out clean or slightly moist.
- Serve immediately with ice-cream.
Nutritions of Lemon rhubarb soufflescalories: 189.288 calories
calories: 6 grams fat
calories: 4 grams saturated fat
calories: 30 grams carbohydrates
calories: 27 grams sugar
calories: 3 grams protein
calories: 36 milligrams cholesterol
calories: 64.37 milligrams sodium