Try a new take on a classic lemon cake, with the flourless lemon buttermilk cake that still packs a zesty punch.
The ingredient of Flourless lemon buttermilk cake recipe
- 4 eggs, separated
- 100g (1/2 cup) caster sugar
- 1 tablespoon finely grated lemon rind
- 125ml (1/2 cup) buttermilk
- 200g (2 cups) almond meal
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- Lemon zest, to serve
- 150g (1 cup) icing sugar mixture, sifted
- 2 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (see tip)
The instruction how to make Flourless lemon buttermilk cake recipe
- Preheat oven to 180C/160C fan forced. Grease a 20cm springform pan and line the base and side with baking paper.
- Combine the egg yolks, caster sugar and lemon rind in a large mixing bowl. Use a whisk to whisk together until pale and creamy. Gradually beat in the buttermilk until combined. Stir in the almond meal, baking powder and salt.
- Use electric beaters to beat the egg whites until soft peaks form. Add to the buttermilk mixture and fold until just combined. Transfer to the prepared pan and smooth the surface. Bake for 40 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched in the centre.
- Set aside in the pan for 10 minutes to cool slightly before turning onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- To make the glacu00e9 icing, place the icing sugar and lemon juice in a small bowl and stir until smooth. Drizzle over the cake. Sprinkle with extra lemon zest. Set aside for 1 hour or until set.
Nutritions of Flourless lemon buttermilk cake recipecalories: