For the perfect afternoon delight, try this tangy lemon and lime meringue tart by Curtis Stone.
The ingredient of Lemon and lime meringue tart
- 1 cup (150g) plain flour
- 1/3 cup (55g) icing sugar
- 65g unsalted butter, cold, cut into 1cm cubes, plus softened butter to coat pan
- 1 Coles Brand Australian free range egg, beaten
- 1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups (275g) caster sugar
- 4 lemons, zested and juiced
- 5 limes, zested and juiced
- 3/4 cup (180ml) thickened cream
- 6 Coles Brand Australian free range eggs
- 6 Coles Brand Australian free range egg whites, room temperature
- 3/4 cup (165g) caster sugar
- Lime zest, to garnish
The instruction how to make Lemon and lime meringue tart
- To make the crust, in a large bowl, sift the flour and icing sugar. Using your fingers, work the butter into the flour until mixture resembles a coarse meal, with a few pea-size pieces of butter remaining. Make a well in the centre of the flour mixture and add 1 1/2 tablespoon of beaten egg and the vanilla. Stir mixture for about 1 min or until the dough comes together. Shape dough into a disc. Wrap the disc in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour or until the dough is firm.
- Position a rack in the centre of the oven and preheat oven to 180u00b0C. Generously brush a 24cm round tart pan with a removable bottom with the softened butter.
- Roll the pastry dough between two sheets of baking paper. Starting from the centre of the disc and rolling toward the edge, roll out the dough, rotating it until the dough is about 2mm thick. Trim the dough into a 30cm circle. Place the dough sheet on a baking tray and freeze for about 5 mins or until firm.
- Remove the sheet of dough from the baking paper and drape it over the tart pan. Gently lift and coax the dough into the pan. Lightly press the dough into the bottom and side of the pan, ensuring there is about a 1cm overhang. Place the tart pan on a baking tray and freeze for 30 mins.
- Line the frozen crust with baking paper and fill with enough dried beans to cover the bottom and side of the crust. Bake the crust for about 10 mins or until any visible dough is slightly cooked. Remove the beans and baking paper. Using the tip of a sharp knife, trim the overhang. Bake for an additional 12-15 mins or until the crust is golden brown.
- Meanwhile, to make the filling, in a large bowl, whisk the sugar and zests for 30 seconds or until the sugar is moistened and fragrant.
- In a small saucepan, bring the cream, sugar, 1/3 cup (80ml) lemon juice and 1/3 cup (80ml) lime juice to a simmer over medium heat. Whisk the eggs and 1/4 teaspoon of sea salt flakes in a large bowl to blend. Slowly pour the hot cream mixture over the eggs, while continuously whisking, until blended. Pour the mixture through a fine mesh sieve into a large bowl. Remove any froth from the top of the mixture.
- Reduce oven temperature to 120C. Pour the hot filling into the hot tart crust. Bake for 20-30 mins or until the edges are just set and the centre jiggles slightly. Let the tart rest on a wire rack at room temperature for at least 1 hour. Once cool, transfer the tart to a large serving tray and refrigerate for about 1 hour or until the filling is slightly firm to the touch.
- To make the topping, preheat the grill. In a large bowl placed over a saucepan of simmering water, whisk egg whites and sugar constantly for 8 mins or until the mixture is frothy and sugar has dissolved, or until the temperature has reached 72C on a sugar thermometer. Transfer to the bowl of an electric stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment and whip on medium speed for 6 mins or until meringue holds stiff, glossy peaks.
- Place dollops of meringue onto the tart and spread meringue decoratively. Grill for 30 seconds or until meringue is lightly browned. Garnish with lime zest.
Nutritions of Lemon and lime meringue tartcalories: 556.87 calories
calories: 20 grams fat
calories: 11 grams saturated fat
calories: 78 grams carbohydrates
calories: 13 grams protein