Turn all your favourite Mexican flavours into this spicy tortilla soup.
The ingredient of Sopa de tortilla (tortilla soup)
- 5 large ripe tomatoes
- 2 large fresh red chillies
- 1 red onion, halved, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 5 flour tortillas, thickly sliced
- 500ml (2 cups) Massel chicken style liquid stock
- 1 x 420g can corn kernels, rinsed, drained
- 2 tbsp fresh lime juice
- Salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 ripe avocado, halved, stone removed, peeled, coarsely chopped
- Fresh continental parsley, to garnish
The instruction how to make Sopa de tortilla (tortilla soup)
- Use a small knife to cut a shallow cross in the base of each tomato. Bring a large saucepan of water to the boil over high heat. Remove from heat and set aside. Place the tomatoes and chillies in the hot water and set aside for 5 minutes or until the tomato skins split. Drain.
- Use your fingers to carefully remove tomato skins. Cut tomatoes in half and remove the cores. Coarsely chop the tomatoes and chillies.
- Place the tomato, chilli and half the onion in the jug of a blender or use a hand blender to blend until almost smooth. Set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Add half the tortilla strips and cook, turning occasionally, for 5 minutes or until golden brown and crisp. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towel. Repeat with the remaining tortilla strips.
- Meanwhile, place stock in a large saucepan over high heat and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 20 minutes. Add the tomato mixture, half the corn and the lime juice, and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes or until the soup thickens slightly. Taste and season with salt and pepper.
- Add half the tortilla strips and gently stir to combine. Ladle soup into a large serving bowl, sprinkle with the avocado and the remaining onion, tortilla strips and corn. Garnish with parsley and serve immediately.
Nutritions of Sopa de tortilla (tortilla soup)calories: 269.114 calories
calories: 17 grams fat
calories: 3 grams saturated fat
calories: 21 grams carbohydrates
calories: 7 grams sugar
calories: 6 grams protein
calories: 550.48 milligrams sodium