A hearty meal this Moussaka soup is loaded with 3.5 vegies per serve.
The ingredient of Moussaka soup recipe
- 2 lamb shanks
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 brown onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 dried bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 400g can diced tomatoes
- 2 cups Massel Chicken Style Liquid Stock
- 400g can chickpeas, drained, rinsed
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 eggplants, partially peeled, cut into 1.5cm pieces
- Plain low-fat Greek-style yoghurt, to serve
- Shredded fresh mint leaves, to serve
- Chargrilled Lebanese bread, to serve
The instruction how to make Moussaka soup recipe
- Season lamb with salt and pepper. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large saucepan over high heat. Add lamb. Cook, turning, for 8 minutes or until browned all over. Transfer to a plate.
- Reduce heat to medium. Add onion, garlic and bay leaf. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until softened. Add tomato paste and spices. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add tomatoes, stock, chickpeas, oregano and 2 cups water. Bring to the boil. Cover. Reduce heat to medium-low. Cook for 1 hour 40 minutes or until lamb is very tender.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 1/2 tablespoons remaining oil in a large frying pan over high heat. Add half the eggplant. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes or until golden. Transfer to a plate. Repeat with remaining oil and eggplant.
- Using tongs, transfer lamb to a board. Using 2 forks, shred meat. Discard bones. Remove and discard bay leaf. Return shredded lamb to pan with eggplant. Simmer, covered, for 20 minutes. Divide soup among serving bowls. Dollop with yoghurt and sprinkle with mint. Serve with chargrilled Lebanese bread.
Nutritions of Moussaka soup recipecalories: 463.182 calories
calories: 22.5 grams fat
calories: 6 grams saturated fat
calories: 38.3 grams carbohydrates
calories: 22.6 grams protein
calories: 46 milligrams cholesterol
calories: 743 milligrams sodium