Nutty parsnip blends well with rich cream and the warming scent of sage in this soup.
The ingredient of Cream of parsnip soup
- 20g butter
- 1 brown onion, coarsely chopped
- 4 (about 500g) parsnips, trimmed, peeled, coarsely chopped
- 2 (about 500g) potatoes, peeled, coarsely chopped
- 6 fresh sage leaves
- 1.25L (5 cups) water
- 2 Massel chicken style stock cubes or vegetable stock cubes (see note)
- 125ml (1/2 cup) pouring cream
- Extra sage leaves, to serve
- White pepper, to season
- Chargrilled sourdough bread, to serve
The instruction how to make Cream of parsnip soup
- Heat the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat until foaming. Cook the onion, stirring often, for 5 minutes or until soft. Add the parsnip, potato and sage and stir to coat. Add the water and chicken or vegetable stock cubes.
- Increase heat to high and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer, partially covered, for 30 minutes or until the vegetables are tender. Set aside to cool slightly. Use a stick blender to blend until smooth.
- Stir in the cream. Place the soup over medium-low heat and stir until heated through. Divide the soup among serving bowls and top with extra sage. Season with white pepper and serve with bread.
Nutritions of Cream of parsnip soupcalories: 298.033 calories
calories: 16 grams fat
calories: 10 grams saturated fat
calories: 30 grams carbohydrates
calories: 9 grams sugar
calories: 6 grams protein
calories: 43 milligrams cholesterol
calories: 81.78 milligrams sodium