"Hearty and satisfying, this meatball soup has a surprising twist, and is best served with a glass of robust red." - Katie Quinn Davies.
The ingredient of Pork and fennel meatball soup with pasta
- 1/3 cup (80ml) extra virgin olive oil, plus extra to drizzle
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 3-4 large garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 long red chilli, seeds removed, finely chopped
- 3 celery stalks, very thinly sliced, plus
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh celery leaves (use the pale inner leaves)
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 3 x 400g cans chopped tomatoes
- 1L (4 cups) Massel chicken style stock
- Handful of basil leaves, roughly torn, plus extra to serve
- 8 (650g) pork and fennel sausages (see notes)
- 1/2 cup (35g) fresh breadcrumbs
- 250g ditali pasta (see notes)
- Sour cream (loosened with a little milk), to serve
- Parmesan, grated, to serve
- Ciabatta, to serve
The instruction how to make Pork and fennel meatball soup with pasta
- Heat 1/4 cup (60ml) oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Reduce the heat to medium-low, then add the onion and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes or until starting to soften. Add garlic and chilli, then cook for a further 2 minutes or until softened. Add celery and celery leaves, then cook, stirring, for 4 minutes or until softened. Stir through tomato paste, then add tomatoes, stock and basil. Increase heat to high and bring to the boil, then reduce the heat to low and simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, remove the sausage meat from the casings, discarding casings, and place in a large bowl. Add breadcrumbs and mix to combine, then roll into 50 walnut-sized meatballs. Heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil in a frypan over medium-low heat. In batches, cook the meatballs for 7-9 minutes until golden and cooked though. Drain on paper towel.
- Using a stick blender, whiz the soup until smooth. Stir through 1 cup (250ml) water and season to taste. Simmer for a further 10 minutes until slightly reduced.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta in a large saucepan of boiling, salted water according to the packet instructions. Drain, then add to soup with meatballs and stir well to combine.
- Divide the soup among bowls, then drizzle with a spoonful of sour cream and some olive oil. Sprinkle with parmesan and extra basil leaves, then serve immediately with ciabatta.
Nutritions of Pork and fennel meatball soup with pastacalories: 419.923 calories
calories: 29 grams fat
calories: 8.6 grams saturated fat
calories: 23.8 grams carbohydrates
calories: 1.9 grams sugar
calories: 14.6 grams protein
calories: 68 milligrams cholesterol
calories: 818 milligrams sodium