Just the way Nanna used to make it, this easy cake with become your go-to afternoon or weekend treat. Youll love the creamy custard centre and sticky golden syrup drizzle.
The ingredient of Nannas golden syrup custard cake recipe
- 180g butter, at room temperature, chopped
- 55g (1/4 cup) caster sugar
- 60ml (1/4 cup) golden syrup, plus extra, to drizzle
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 225g (1 1/2 cups) self-raising flour
- 125ml (1/2 cup) milk
- Vanilla ice-cream (optional)
- 2 1/2 tbsp custard powder
- 250ml (1 cup) milk
- 60ml (1/4 cup) golden syrup
The instruction how to make Nannas golden syrup custard cake recipe
- Preheat oven to 180C/160C fan forced. Grease a 10 x 20cm (base measurement) loaf pan and line with baking paper, allowing the paper to overhang the long sides.
- To make the custard, place the custard powder in a small saucepan. Add 1 tablespoon of milk and stir until smooth. Add the golden syrup and remaining milk. Cook, stirring, over medium-low heat for 2 minutes or until the mixture comes to the boil and thickens. Transfer to a bowl and set aside to cool, stirring occasionally.
- Use electric beaters to beat the butter and sugar in a medium bowl until pale and creamy. Beat in the golden syrup and vanilla. Add the eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition, until combined. Add the flour and milk, alternating in small amounts, and beat until combined.
- Spoon two-thirds of the cake mixture into the prepared pan. Smooth the top. Dollop the custard over the cake mixture, then top with remaining mixture. Smooth the top. Bake for 40-45 minutes or until firm to touch. Cover loosely with foil if cake is browning too quickly.
- Set aside cake in pan for 10-15 minutes to cool and set firmly. Use the baking paper to transfer to a plate. Remove the paper. Serve warm with vanilla ice-cream, if using, or at room temperature. Drizzle with extra golden syrup.
Nutritions of Nannas golden syrup custard cake recipecalories: