Notable for its freshly grated nutmeg fragrance and taste this easy cake comes out of the oven featuring two layers - a crispy base and a moist crumb dotted with almonds and walnuts.
The ingredient of Armenian nutmeg cake recipe
- 150g (1 cup) self-raising flour
- 75g (1/2 cup) plain flour
- 275g (1 1/4 cups) brown sugar
- 60g (1/2 cup) ground almonds
- 125g cold butter, chopped
- 55g (1/2 cup) walnut halves, chopped
- 2 tsp freshly grated nutmeg (see note)
- 125ml (1/2 cup) milk
- 125g (1/2 cup) sour cream
- 1 egg, lightly whisked
- 1 tsp bicarbonate soda
- Icing sugar, to dust
The instruction how to make Armenian nutmeg cake recipe
- Preheat oven to 180C/160C fan forced. Release the base from a 20cm (base measurement) springform pan and turn over. Secure base back in pan. Spray pan with oil spray. Line base with baking paper.
- Combine flours, sugar and ground almonds in a medium bowl. Use your fingertips to rub the butter into the flour mixture until fine breadcrumbs form. Press one-third of the mixture firmly over the base of the prepared pan (see notes). Set aside.
- Add the walnuts and nutmeg to the remaining flour mixture. Make a well in the centre. Combine the milk, sour cream, egg and bicarbonate soda in a medium bowl. Add to the flour mixture and stir well to combine. Pour over the base in the prepared pan.
- Bake for 50 to 55 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean. Transfer pan to a wire rack to cool slightly then remove the side from the pan and set aside to cool completely.
- Dust the cake lightly with icing sugar before cutting into slices to serve.
Nutritions of Armenian nutmeg cake recipecalories: