Sip something sweet and strong as you nibble these fruity jam tarts with their crumbly almond and vanilla bean shortcrust cases.
The ingredient of Basque cakes
- 175g unsalted butter, at room temperature, chopped
- 160g (1 cup, lightly packed) brown sugar
- 1 vanilla bean, split
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 265g (13/4 cups) plain flour
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 55g (1/2 cup) almond meal
- 240g (2/3 cup) Anathoth Cherry Berry Jam
- 1 tbsp milk
- 1 egg, extra
The instruction how to make Basque cakes
- Place the butter and sugar in a bowl. Scrape in the seeds from the vanilla bean. Use an electric beater to beat for 8 minutes or until pale and creamy. Add the egg and egg yolk, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Sift the flour and baking powder into a bowl. Slowly beat the flour mixture and almond meal into the butter mixture until the mixture is just combined.
- Transfer the dough to a lightly floured surface. Divide into 2 pieces, one slightly larger than the other. Shape each piece into a disc. Cover with plastic wrap and place in the fridge for 1 hour to rest.
- Preheat oven to 180C. Lightly flour a rolling pin. Roll out the larger piece of pastry between 2 sheets of baking paper until 4mm thick. Use a round 6.5cm pastry cutter to cut 16 discs from the pastry. Line sixteen 40ml (2 tablespoons) patty pans with the pastry discs. Fill each with 2 teaspoons jam. Roll out the remaining pastry between 2 sheets of baking paper until 4mm thick. Use a round 5.5cm pastry cutter to cut 16 discs from the pastry. Top each tart with a pastry disc. Press the edges to seal.
- Whisk the milk and extra egg in a bowl. Brush the tops of the tarts with the egg mixture. Use a fork to mark a cross on the top of each tart. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden. Cool slightly in the pans before transferring to a wire rack to cool. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Nutritions of Basque cakescalories: 248.56 calories
calories: 12 grams fat
calories: 6.5 grams saturated fat
calories: 32 grams carbohydrates
calories: 3.5 grams protein