Tres leches means "three milks" in Spanish, and this sweet, syrupy dessert also features some of Cubas finest ingredients - tropical fruit and rum.
The ingredient of Tres leches cake
- Olive oil spray
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 155g (3/4 cup) caster sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 150g (1 cup) plain flour, sifted
- 60ml (1/4 cup) milk
- 185ml (3/4 cup) evaporated milk
- 1 x 395g can sweetened condensed milk
- 125ml (1/2 cup) thickened cream
- 60ml (1/4 cup) rum
- 1 x 300ml ctn thickened cream, extra
- 2 tbsp caster sugar, extra
- Canned mango slices, to serve
- Fresh mint leaves (optional), to serve
The instruction how to make Tres leches cake
- Preheat oven to 180u00b0C. Spray a 16 x 26cm (base measurement) slab pan with olive oil spray to lightly grease. Line the base and 2 long sides with non-stick baking paper.
- Use an electric beater to beat the egg yolks, vanilla and 100g (1/2 cup) of the sugar in a bowl until the sugar dissolves and the mixture is thick and pale, and a ribbon trail forms when the beater is lifted. Use a large metal spoon to fold in the baking powder and one-third of the flour. Fold in one-third of the milk. Repeat, in 2 more batches, with the remaining flour and milk.
- Use a clean electric beater to whisk the egg whites in a clean, dry bowl until soft peaks form. Gradually add the remaining sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, whisking constantly until sugar dissolves and the mixture is thick and glossy. Add one-quarter of the egg white mixture to the flour mixture. Use a metal spoon to fold until smooth. Fold in the remaining egg white mixture.
- Spoon into the lined pan. Smooth the surface. Bake in oven for 20-25 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Set aside in the pan for 10 minutes to cool. Place the pan in a large, deep baking dish. Use a skewer to pierce holes over the surface of the cake.
- Combine evaporated milk, condensed milk, cream and 1 tablespoon of rum in a jug. Slowly pour over the cake. Cover. Place in fridge overnight to soak.
- Use an electric beater to whisk together the extra cream, extra sugar and remaining rum in a bowl until firm peaks form. Spread over the cake. Cut into squares. Top with mango and mint leaves, if desired, to serve.
Nutritions of Tres leches cakecalories: 550.895 calories
calories: 24 grams fat
calories: 14 grams saturated fat
calories: 72 grams carbohydrates
calories: 12 grams protein