Spiced with a touch of ginger, this lumberjack bread is the perfect accompaniment for your afternoon cup of tea.
The ingredient of Lumberjack bread
- 1 cup pitted dried dates, chopped
- 1 large granny smith apple, peeled, grated
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 3/4 cup boiling water
- 1 1/2 cups plain flour
- 1 cup self-raising flour
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 50g butter
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
The instruction how to make Lumberjack bread
- Preheat oven to 180C/160C fan-forced. Grease a 7cm-deep, 9cm x 25.5cm loaf pan. Line base and sides with 2 layers of baking paper, extending paper 4cm above edges of pan (see notes).
- Place dates, apple and bicarbonate of soda in a heatproof bowl. Add boiling water. Stir to combine. Set aside for 10 minutes to soften.
- Combine plain flour, self-raising flour, sugar and ginger in a large bowl. Make a well. Add date mixture, oil, egg and vanilla. Mix well to combine. Spoon mixture into prepared pan. Level top. Bake for 45 minutes or until loaf is just firm to touch but not completely cooked through.
- Meanwhile, make coconut topping. Place butter, sugar, milk and coconut in a small saucepan over medium heat. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until butter has melted and mixture is combined. Bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low. Simmer for 2 minutes to thicken slightly. 5 Pour hot topping over hot loaf. Bake for a further 30 minutes or until topping is golden and set. Stand for 10 minutes. Run a knife around edge of loaf. Using paper, lift bread from pan. Transfer to a wire rack lined with baking paper. Cool completely. Serve.
Nutritions of Lumberjack breadcalories: 391.96 calories
calories: 15.2 grams fat
calories: 5.9 grams saturated fat
calories: 57.7 grams carbohydrates
calories: 5.8 grams protein
calories: 49 milligrams cholesterol
calories: 295 milligrams sodium