For a slice of Turkey, try these sweet treats flavoured with rosewater.
The ingredient of Lokum (Turkish delight)
- Olive oil spray
- 860g (4 cups) caster sugar
- 1L (4 cups) water
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons gelatine powder
- 130g (1 cup) cornflour
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 2 teaspoons rosewater essence
- Red food colouring
- 300g (2 cups) icing sugar mixture
The instruction how to make Lokum (Turkish delight)
- Spray a square 20cm (base measurement) cake pan with olive oil spray to grease. Line the base and side with non-stick baking paper, allowing the sides to overhang.
- Place the sugar and 500ml (2 cups) of the water in a large heavy-based saucepan over low heat and stir until the sugar dissolves. Place a sugar thermometer in the pan. Increase heat to medium. Cook, without stirring, brushing down the side of the pan occasionally with a pastry brush dipped in water, for 25 minutes or until the sugar thermometer reaches 125u00b0C. Stir in the lemon juice.
- Meanwhile, place the gelatine, cornflour and cream of tartar in a large saucepan. Use a balloon whisk to whisk in a little of the remaining water to form a paste. Gradually whisk in the remaining water. Place over medium heat and cook, stirring, for 3-5 minutes or until the mixture boils and thickens.
- Gradually pour the sugar syrup into the cornflour mixture, whisking constantly (if the mixture becomes lumpy, pour through a fine sieve into another saucepan).
- Reduce heat to low. Place the sugar thermometer in the saucepan. Simmer, stirring occasionally to prevent the mixture sticking to the base of the pan, for 1 hour or until the mixture is light golden and sugar thermometer reaches 110u00b0C. Add the rosewater and a few drops of the food colouring and stir until well combined. Pour the mixture into the prepared pan.
- Set aside to cool to room temperature and place in the fridge for 4 hours or overnight until firm.
- Pour the icing sugar mixture onto a large chopping board. Turn the lokum onto the icing sugar and use a lightly greased knife to cut into 3cm pieces. Toss the lokum in the icing sugar to coat. Serve.
Nutritions of Lokum (Turkish delight)calories: 218.685 calories
calories: 1.5 grams fat
calories: 51 grams carbohydrates
calories: 2 grams protein