Turn your favourite spring cocktail into a summery, showstopping dessert with this recipe for a gin and tonic trifle.
The ingredient of Gin and tonic trifle recipe
- 430g (2 cups) caster sugar
- 935ml (3 3/4 cups) tonic water
- 2 tablespoons gelatine powder
- 375ml (1 1/2 cups) gin
- 2 lemons, thinly sliced, seeds removed
- 900ml thickened cream
- 900g tub double thick vanilla custard
- 460g bought double round unfilled sponge cake
- 1 lime, thinly sliced, to serve
- Fresh mint sprigs, to serve
- Lemon thyme sprigs, to serve
- Shaved cucumber, to serve
- Shortbread biscuits, crumbled, to serve
- 350g jar lemon curd
The instruction how to make Gin and tonic trifle recipe
- Stir 285g (1 1/3 cups) of sugar and 750ml (3 cups) of tonic water in a small saucepan over medium heat for 3 minutes or until the sugar dissolves. Bring to the boil. Remove from the heat. Sprinkle with the gelatine and whisk the mixture until dissolved. Stir in 330ml (1 1/3 cups) of the gin. Strain the mixture through a fine sieve into a shallow dish. Place in the fridge for 2 hours or until jelly is almost set.
- Meanwhile, line a baking tray with baking paper. Place the remaining sugar in a large frying pan. Reserving 1 tablespoon of tonic water, add the remaining to the pan and stir to combine. Stir over low heat for 2 minutes or until sugar dissolves. Bring to the boil. Boil for 3 minutes or until reduced slightly. Reduce heat to medium. Add the lemon slices. Cook for 40 seconds or until lemon slices turn opaque. Use tongs to carefully transfer the slices to the prepared tray to cool. Reserve 125ml (1/2 cup) of the sugar syrup.
- Combine 150g (1/2 cup) of lemon curd and 300ml cream in a bowl. Use electric beaters to beat until firm peaks form. Stir in custard. Place sponge cake in the base of a trifle bowl, trimming to fit, if necessary. Spoon over the reserved syrup then the custard mixture. Cover and place in the fridge to chill until the jelly from step one is nearly set.
- Arrange the cooled lemon slices around the edge of trifle bowl above the custard layer (you will have some leftover for topping the trifle). Layer with the soft set jelly. Return to the fridge for 45 minutes or until set.
- Combine the remaining lemon curd with the remaining tablespoon of tonic water in a small bowl.
- Just before serving, use electric beaters to beat the remaining cream and remaining gin until soft peaks form. Top the trifle with the cream. Serve decorated with remaining lemon slices, lime slices, lemon curd sauce, herbs, cucumber and biscuit crumbs.
Nutritions of Gin and tonic trifle recipecalories: