This wholesome vegetarian salad gets its bulk from pearl barley which is rich in protein, nutrients and fibre.
The ingredient of Toasted barley salad with roast beets & sticky sweet dressing
- 160g (2/3 cup) pearl barley, washed, dried
- 1L (4 cups) water
- 2 bunches baby beetroot, trimmed, scrubbed
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 3 teaspoons honey
- 3/4 teaspoon wholegrain mustard
- 2 bunches asparagus
- 1 green apple, quartered, sliced
- 80g goats cheese, crumbled
- 2 tablespoons pepitas, toasted
- Micro herbs, to serve
The instruction how to make Toasted barley salad with roast beets & sticky sweet dressing
- Preheat oven to 190u00b0C/170u00b0C fan forced. Heat a small saucepan over medium heat. Toast barley, stirring constantly, for 4 minutes or until golden. Add water and bring to boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes or until tender. Drain and refresh under cold running water.
- Meanwhile, wrap each beetroot in foil. Place on a baking tray and roast for 30 minutes or until tender. Discard foil.
- Whisk the oil, vinegar, honey and mustard in a bowl. Season.
- Place asparagus on a lined tray and spray with olive oil. Season and roast for 10 minutes or until tender.
- Combine barley, apple, goats cheese and half the dressing in a large bowl. Add beetroot and asparagus. Toss gently to combine. Drizzle with remaining dressing and sprinkle with pepitas and herbs.
Nutritions of Toasted barley salad with roast beets & sticky sweet dressingcalories: 376.664 calories
calories: 15 grams fat
calories: 5 grams saturated fat
calories: 43 grams carbohydrates
calories: 12 grams protein