A low-carb Mexican favourite without blowing the budget.
The ingredient of Chilli con carne
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1kg-piece gravy beef, cut into quarters
- 2 brown onions, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 large green capsicum, deseeded, finely chopped
- 2 x 400g cans diced tomatoes
- 500ml (2 cups) Massel beef stock
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh coriander
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1-2 teaspoons dried chilli flakes
- 1 cinnamon stick
- Coarsely grated vintage cheddar, to serve
- Finely chopped tomato, to serve
- Finely chopped red onion, to serve
- Mashed avocado, to serve
- Sour cream, to serve
- Flour tortillas, to serve
The instruction how to make Chilli con carne
- Heat oil in a pan over medium-high heat. Add half the beef and cook for 3-4 minutes each side. Set aside. Repeat with remaining beef. Reduce heat to medium. Add onion, garlic and capsicum and cook, stirring, for 6-8 minutes.
- Return beef to the pan with the tomato, stock, coriander, cumin, oregano, cloves, chilli and cinnamon. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low and cook, covered, for 2 hours.
- Use tongs to transfer the beef to a plate. Use 2 forks to shred the meat.
- Bring the tomato mixture to the boil. Cook, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Add beef and cook for 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Season with salt and pepper.
- Divide chilli among serving bowls and top with cheddar, tomato, onion, avocado and sour cream. Serve with tortillas.
Nutritions of Chilli con carnecalories: 465.572 calories
calories: 20 grams fat
calories: 6 grams saturated fat
calories: 13 grams carbohydrates
calories: 10 grams sugar
calories: 56 grams protein
calories: 155 milligrams cholesterol
calories: 593.68 milligrams sodium