The Chinese word for prawns "har" has a laughter-like sound, and this seafood delicacy - a festive favourite in China - represents happiness.
The ingredient of Chilli salt prawns
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- 2 tablespoons rice flour
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 teaspoons white pepper
- 2 teaspoons chilli powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Chinese five spice
- 2L (8 cups) peanut oil
- 18 (about 1kg) green large king prawns, peeled leaving tails intact, deveined
- 6 sprigs fresh coriander
- Lemon wedges, to serve
The instruction how to make Chilli salt prawns
- Combine the plain flour, rice flour, salt, white pepper, chilli powder and Chinese five spice in a bowl.
- Preheat oven to 160u00b0C. Line a baking tray with 5 layers of paper towel. Place the oil in a large saucepan or wok. Heat to 190u00b0C over medium heat (when the oil is ready a cube of bread will turn golden brown in 10 seconds).
- Place one-quarter of prawns in the flour mixture. Toss to coat. Shake off excess. Add to the oil and cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until golden. Use a slotted spoon to transfer to the lined tray. Place in oven to keep warm. Repeat, in 3 more batches, with flour mixture and remaining prawns, reheating oil between batches.
- Add the coriander to the oil and cook for 10 seconds or until crisp. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towel. Place prawns on a serving platter. Top with coriander. Serve with lemon wedges.
Nutritions of Chilli salt prawnscalories: 210.32 calories
calories: 13 grams fat
calories: 2.5 grams saturated fat
calories: 7.5 grams carbohydrates
calories: 17 grams protein