Our rich latte-flavoured cake hides layers of nutty toffee biscuit crumble.
The ingredient of Coffee & walnut streusel cake
- Vegetable oil, to grease
- 50g walnut kernels, coarsely chopped
- 100g (1/2 cup) caster sugar
- 40g Walkers Pure Butter Shortbread, crushed
- 1 tbsp instant coffee granules
- 2 tbsp boiling water
- 125g butter, chopped
- 200g (1 cup, firmly packed) brown sugar
- 185ml (3/4 cup) buttermilk
- 2 eggs, lightly whisked
- 225g (11/2 cups) self-raising flour
- Walnut kernels, to serve
- 1 tsp instant coffee granules
- 2 tsp boiling water
- 80g (1/2 cup) pure icing sugar
- 1/2 tsp butter, at room temperature
The instruction how to make Coffee & walnut streusel cake
- Brush a large baking tray with oil. Spread the walnuts over the tray. Heat a heavy-based frying pan over medium heat. Sprinkle some caster sugar over base and cook until sugar dissolves. Continue adding remaining caster sugar, allowing the sugar to dissolve before each addition. Cook, swirling the pan gently, for 15 minutes or until golden. Pour over the walnut and set aside to cool completely. Transfer walnut mixture to a small sealable plastic bag and use a rolling pin to gently crush. Combine the walnut mixture and shortbread in a bowl.
- Preheat oven to 180u00b0C. Brush a round 20cm (base measurement) ring pan with oil. Line the base with non-stick baking paper. Stir the coffee and water in a jug until coffee dissolves. Stir coffee mixture, butter and brown sugar in a small saucepan over low heat for 3-4 minutes or until the butter melts. Set aside for 10 minutes to cool slightly.
- Stir the buttermilk and egg into the coffee mixture. Sift the flour into a large bowl and make a well in the centre. Add the coffee mixture and stir until well combined. Pour half the mixture into the prepared pan and sprinkle with half the walnut mixture. Repeat with the remaining cake mixture and walnut mixture. Bake for 35 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the cake comes out clean. Set aside for 5 minutes to cool slightly before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- To make the coffee icing, stir the coffee and water in a small jug until the coffee dissolves. Combine the coffee mixture, icing sugar and butter in a small microwave-safe bowl. Heat on High/800watts/100% for 20 seconds or until the mixture reaches pouring consistency.
- Drizzle icing over cake and top with walnuts. Set aside until set.
Nutritions of Coffee & walnut streusel cakecalories: