Raise your game with Marion Grasbys rich cheese souffles. Theyre a cinch to make and you can even bake them the day before!
The ingredient of Twice-baked cheese and chive souffles
- 50g butter, melted, plus extra, softened, to grease
- 375ml (1 1/2cups) milk
- 50g (1/3 cup) plain flour
- 5 eggs, separated
- 150g gruyere, finely grated
- 1/4 cup finely chopped chives
- 125ml (1/2 cup) pouring cream
- 20g (1/4 cup) finely grated parmesan
- 500g cherry tomatoes, halved
- 80ml (1/3 cup) extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 lemon, zested
The instruction how to make Twice-baked cheese and chive souffles
- Preheat oven to 180C. Using a pastry brush, grease ramekins with softened butter, then line the base of each one with a round of baking paper.
- Place milk in a small pan and bring almost to the boil over medium heat.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in a separate pan over medium heat, then whisk in flour and cook, whisking, for 2 minutes or until thick. Remove pan from heat and gradually whisk in hot milk until smooth and combined. Return pan to medium heat and whisk for a further 2 minutes or until thick and smooth. Remove from heat and whisk in egg yolks, one at a time, until combined. Add gruyere and stir until melted, then stir in chives and 1 teaspoon salt until combined. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Using an electric mixer, whisk egg whites to stiff peaks. Using a large metal spoon, fold one-third of the egg whites into cheese mixture to loosen, then gently fold in remaining egg whites until just combined.
- Divide among ramekins, then place in a deep roasting pan. Pour in enough boiling water to reach halfway up the side of the ramekins. Bake on the centre shelf of the oven for 20 minutes or until tops are golden and a skewer inserted into souffles comes out clean. Cool in pan for 5 minutes (souffles will deflate).
- Meanwhile, line an oven tray with baking paper. Carefully remove souffles from pan. Using a butter knife, ease the souffles away from the side of the ramekins, then carefully turn out onto the tray. Peel baking paper from base.
- Combine cream and parmesan in a small bowl, then spoon over the top of each souffle. Bake for 15 minutes or until golden and puffed.
- Meanwhile, to make tomato salad, combine tomatoes, oil, vinegar and lemon zest in a bowl, then season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Divide souffles among plates, then spoon over tomato salad to serve.
Nutritions of Twice-baked cheese and chive soufflescalories: