Sumptuous chunks of curried beef ooze out of homemade wholemeal pastry in this tempting curry pie.
The ingredient of Beef curry pie
- 2 1/2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 large brown onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon fenugreek powder
- 1/4 teaspoon chilli powder
- 5 whole cloves
- 500g beef chuck steak, cut into small cubes
- 1 cup Massel beef stock
- 1/2 cup tomato puree
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large brown onion, halved, thinly sliced
- 2 large tomatoes, sliced
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry, partially thawed
- 1 1/2 cups wholemeal plain flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup (60g) lard
- 1/4 cup (60g) butter
- 4 to 5 tablespoons chilled water
The instruction how to make Beef curry pie
- Make Wholemeal pastry: Sift flour and salt into a bowl. Add lard and butter. Using a fork or knife, cut through mixture to combine. Add water, 1 tablespoon at a time, mixing with the fork until dough forms a ball. Wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large heavy-based saucepan over medium-high heat. Add chopped onion and garlic. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until softened. Add cumin, coriander, turmeric, fenugreek, chilli and cloves. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until fragrant.
- Add beef. Cook, stirring, for 8 minutes or until beef changes in colour. Stir in stock and tomato puree. Season with the salt and pepper. Bring to the boil. Cover, reduce heat to low. Simmer for 45 minutes. Remove lid. Simmer for 20 minutes or until sauce has thickened and beef is tender. Cool.
- Meanwhile, heat remaining oil in a frying pan over medium-low heat. Add sliced onion. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes or until onions are softened and caramelised. Set aside to cool.
- Preheat oven to 210C/190C fan-forced. Grease a 6cm deep, 20cm round (base) springform pan. Roll wholemeal pastry between 2 sheets baking paper until large enough to line the base and side of prepared pan. Carefully push pastry into pan. Spoon cooled meat filling over pastry base. Top with onion, then tomato. Season with salt and pepper. Trim pastry, leaving a border 1cm above filling. Fold pastry edge over filling. Brush pastry edge with egg.
- Cut a 20cm circle from puff pastry. Discard scraps. Place pastry circle over filling. Trim excess pastry from edge. Using a fork, press edge of pastry to seal. Brush top of pie with egg. Using a knife, make a hole in top of pie to allow steam to escape during cooking. Place pan on a baking tray.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until top is golden. Stand for 5 minutes. Serve.
Nutritions of Beef curry piecalories: 625.702 calories
calories: 39 grams fat
calories: 16 grams saturated fat
calories: 39 grams carbohydrates
calories: 6 grams sugar
calories: 27 grams protein
calories: 117 milligrams cholesterol
calories: 725.3 milligrams sodium