For American comfort food at its best, try this golden baked macaroni and cheese.
The ingredient of Bacon and chicken macaroni cheese
- 500g Coles RSPCA Approved Chicken Breast, trimmed
- 350g penne pasta
- 175g hickory smoked bacon, rind trimmed, coarsely chopped
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 3 spring onions, trimmed, sliced
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 60g butter, chopped
- 1/4 cup (35g) plain flour
- 3 cups (750ml) milk
- 100g grated smoked cheddar
- 1 cup (120g) frozen peas
- 1 1/2 cups fresh breadcrumbs, made from Coles Bakery Stone Baked Sourdough
The instruction how to make Bacon and chicken macaroni cheese
- Preheat oven to 200C. Cook the chicken in a medium saucepan of boiling water over medium heat for 10 minutes. Transfer to a plate and set aside until cool enough to handle. Use two forks to shred the chicken.
- Cook the pasta in a saucepan of salted boiling water following packet directions or until al dente. Drain. Place the pasta in a large heatproof bowl.
- Meanwhile, heat a non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Cook the bacon for 5 mins or until crispy. Transfer the bacon and chicken to the pasta. Heat the oil in the same pan. Add the onion and garlic and cook for 2 mins. Transfer to the pasta mixture.
- Melt the butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the flour and cook for 1-2 mins. Remove from the heat. Gradually add the milk, stirring continuously until smooth. Return mixture to a medium heat. Cook, stirring continuously, for 5-8 mins or until the sauce boils and thickens. Stir in the cheese until melted. Season.
- Pour the cheese sauce over the pasta mixture. Add the peas and stir to combine. Season. Pour the pasta mixture into a 5cm-deep, 20cm x 30cm baking dish. Sprinkle with breadcrumbs. Bake for 25-30 mins or until the top is golden and crispy and filling is bubbling.
Nutritions of Bacon and chicken macaroni cheesecalories: