Heres a vegetarian version of an Italian favourite, layered with a nutty, garlicky Spanish sauce.
The ingredient of Chargrilled vegetable lasagne
- 2 large eggplants, thinly sliced crossways
- 4 zucchini, trimmed, thinly sliced lengthways
- Olive oil spray
- 9 dried curly lasagne sheets
- 500g bought roasted red capsicum, drained
- 55g (3/4 cup) fresh breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts
- 2 tablespoons shredded parmesan
- Fresh basil leaves, to serve
- Balsamic glaze, to serve
- 100g butter
- 150g (1 cup) plain flour
- 1L (4 cups) milk
- 100g blanched almonds, toasted
- 285g btl roasted red capsicum, drained
- 2 slices white bread, toasted, torn into large pieces
- 2 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 60ml (1/4 cup) olive oil
The instruction how to make Chargrilled vegetable lasagne
- Heat a chargrill on medium. Spray eggplant and zucchini with oil. Cook one-third of the eggplant for 2-3 minutes each side or until tender. Transfer to a plate. Repeat, in 3 more batches, with remaining eggplant and zucchini.
- To make the bechamel, melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat until foaming. Add flour and cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until the mixture bubbles. Remove from heat. Gradually add the milk, stirring constantly until smooth. Place the pan over medium heat and cook, stirring constantly, until the sauce thickens. Cover the surface with plastic wrap to stop a skin forming.
- To make the romesco, process the almonds, capsicum, bread, garlic, vinegar and paprika in a food processor until smooth. With the motor running, gradually add the oil in a thin, steady stream until the mixture is thick.
- Cook one-third of the lasagne sheets in a large saucepan of salted boiling water for 4-5 minutes or until tender. Use tongs to transfer lasagne sheets, 1 at a time, to a baking tray. Halve crossways. Repeat, in 2 more batches, with remaining lasagne sheets.
- Preheat oven to 200u00b0C. Line a baking tray with non-stick baking paper. Place 6 lasagne pieces, about 2cm apart, on the tray. Divide one-third of bechamel among pieces. Top with half the eggplant, zucchini and capsicum. Top with romesco. Top with another 6 lasagne pieces, half the remaining bechamel and the remaining eggplant, zucchini, capsicum, lasagne pieces and bechamel to make 6 stacks.
- Combine the breadcrumbs, pine nuts and parmesan in a bowl. Sprinkle over lasagne stacks. Bake for 20 minutes or until golden. Top with basil. Drizzle over balsamic glaze.
Nutritions of Chargrilled vegetable lasagnecalories: 783.92 calories
calories: 44 grams fat
calories: 15 grams saturated fat
calories: 69 grams carbohydrates
calories: 21 grams sugar
calories: 23 grams protein
calories: 62 milligrams cholesterol
calories: 316.81 milligrams sodium