Make this deliciously hearty winter pork and vegetable meal without breaking the bank.
The ingredient of Braised pork with fennel and potato
- 1.7kg-piece small pork shoulder or leg roast, rind removed leaving fat intact
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 brown onions, halved, cut into thin wedges
- 2 baby fennel, trimmed, quartered
- 420g Baby Coliban (Chat) potatoes, unpeeled, cut into 1cm-thick slices (see note)
- 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons fennel seeds
- 2 tablespoons brandy or white wine
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 185ml (3/4 cup) Massel chicken style liquid stock (see note)
- 2 dried bay leaves
- Steamed green round beans, to serve
The instruction how to make Braised pork with fennel and potato
- Preheat oven to 190u00baC. Use unwaxed white kitchen string to tie the pork 3 times. Rub with half the oil. Sprinkle over the salt and rub into the pork. Season with pepper. Heat the remaining oil in a large heavy-based flameproof baking dish over high heat. Cook the pork for 5 minutes, turning, until golden. Transfer pork to a plate.
- Reduce heat to medium-high. Add the onion, fennel, potato, garlic and fennel seeds to the dish. Cook, stirring, for 3-4 minutes or until onion is golden. Stir in the brandy or wine. Add the sugar, stock and bay leaves. Stir to combine.
- Place the pork in the dish, fat-side up. Bake for 40-45 minutes or until the vegetables are caramelised and the pork is cooked through. Cover the pork with foil and set aside for 10 minutes to rest before carving.
Nutritions of Braised pork with fennel and potatocalories: 377.62 calories
calories: 11 grams fat
calories: 3 grams saturated fat
calories: 14 grams carbohydrates
calories: 6 grams sugar
calories: 49 grams protein
calories: 133 milligrams cholesterol
calories: 675.95 milligrams sodium