This festive feast is guaranteed to make eyes pop and mouths water.
The ingredient of Roast turkey with sage & walnut stuffing with gravy
- 30g butter
- 4 bacon rashers, rind removed, finely chopped
- 1 brown onion, halved, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 140g (2 cups) fresh breadcrumbs (made from day-old bread)
- 55g (1/2 cup) walnut halves, coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon finely shredded fresh sage
- 1 egg, lightly whisked
- Salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 6kg (size 60) fresh turkey or thawed frozen turkey, neck removed
- 50g butter, extra, melted
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- 250ml (1 cup) dry white wine
- 250ml (1 cup) Massel chicken style liquid stock
The instruction how to make Roast turkey with sage & walnut stuffing with gravy
- Melt 20g of the butter in a frying pan over medium-high heat until foaming. Add bacon, onion and garlic and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until onion softens. Transfer to a heatproof bowl. Add the breadcrumbs, walnuts, sage and egg and stir until well combined. Season with salt and pepper.
- Preheat oven to 180u00b0C. Rinse the turkey inside and out under cold running water. Pat dry with paper towel. Fill the cavity with breadcrumb mixture. Tie the legs together with unwaxed white kitchen string. Tuck the wings under. Place turkey, breast-side up, in a roasting pan. Brush with extra butter and cover with foil. Roast in oven, basting every 30 minutes, for 3 1/2 hours or until juices run clear when thigh is pierced with a skewer. Transfer turkey to a platter. Remove string. Cover with foil and set aside for 15 minutes to rest.
- Strain the pan juices into a heatproof jug. Melt the remaining butter in the roasting pan over medium heat until foaming. Add the flour and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes or until mixture bubbles. Gradually add the pan juices, wine and stock and cook, scraping the pan with a flat-edged wooden spoon to dislodge any bits that have cooked onto the base, for 5-6 minutes or until gravy boils and thickens. Taste and season with salt and pepper. Strain into a heatproof serving jug.
- Place the turkey on a large serving platter and serve with gravy.
Nutritions of Roast turkey with sage & walnut stuffing with gravycalories: 596.066 calories
calories: 26 grams fat
calories: 9 grams saturated fat
calories: 10 grams carbohydrates
calories: 1 grams sugar
calories: 78 grams protein
calories: 195 milligrams cholesterol
calories: 1224.38 milligrams sodium