There is no better way to celebrate Sunday with family and friends than to enjoy a roast dinner.
The ingredient of Pot-roasted chicken
- 1 large free-range chicken
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 4 parsnips, quartered lengthways
- 1 cup Massel chicken style liquid stock
- 8 slices flat pancetta
- 30g soft unsalted butter
- 1 large garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped flat-leaf parsley, plus extra to garnish
- 1 onion, halved
- 10 whole cloves
- 600ml milk
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 thyme sprig
- 120ml thickened cream
- 2 cups fresh white breadcrumbs
- 30g unsalted butter
- Grated fresh nutmeg, to serve
The instruction how to make Pot-roasted chicken
- Preheat oven to 200C. To make the garlic and parsley butter: Combine all ingredients in a bowl and season.
- Carefully lift the skin of the chicken away from the flesh using oiled hands, then spread two-thirds of the garlic and parsley butter between the skin and the breast. Truss the chicken and set aside.
- Heat 1-2 tablespoons oil in a frypan and fry parsnips until golden. Season and transfer to the base of an ovenproof casserole dish. Wipe the frypan clean, add remaining 1-2 tablespoons olive oil and brown the chicken on all sides. Place on top of the parsnips, season the chicken and dot with remaining one-third garlic and parsley butter. Cover with a cartouche, then the lid and roast for 20 minutes. Add half the stock and return to the oven for a further 40 minutes, then add remaining 1/2 cup stock and cook, uncovered, for a further 20 minutes until the chicken is cooked through and the parsnips are soft and creamy.
- While the chicken is cooking, lay the pancetta on a baking tray and cook on the lower shelf of the oven for 5 minutes or until crisp.
- To make the bread sauce: Stud the onion with cloves and place in a saucepan with the milk, bay leaves and thyme.
- Bring to the boil, then set aside for 30 minutes to infuse. Strain the milk, discarding solids. Clean the saucepan and return milk to pan over low heat. Add cream, breadcrumbs and butter, stirring, for about 1-2 minutes until the butter melts. Stir in a little nutmeg, transfer to a jug and serve warm, garnished with extra nutmeg.
- To serve: Serve the chicken with the parsnips, crispy pancetta and bread sauce.
Nutritions of Pot-roasted chickencalories: 672.307 calories
calories: 49 grams fat
calories: 23 grams saturated fat
calories: 39 grams carbohydrates
calories: 16 grams sugar
calories: 18 grams protein
calories: 107 milligrams cholesterol
calories: 967.7 milligrams sodium