For the perfect winter comfort food try this saffron-infused prawn, fennel and couscous soup. Mop it all up with a big slice of crusty bread.
The ingredient of Prawn, fennel and couscous soup
- Large pinch saffron
- 60ml (1/4 cup) boiling water
- 2 leeks, trimmed, washed
- 60ml (1/4 cup) extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- Pinch dried chilli flakes
- 2 French shallots, finely chopped
- 1 celery stick, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled, finely chopped
- 375ml (1 1/2 cups) dry white wine
- 1L (4 cups) fish stock
- 4 large fresh tarragon sprigs
- 2 fresh bay leaves
- 4 strips lemon rind
- 1 small red capsicum, deseeded, sliced
- 1 small yellow capsicum, deseeded, sliced
- 165g (1 cup) pearl couscous
- 1kg green prawns, peeled, tails intact
- Tarragon leaves, extra, to serve
- Lemon wedges, to serve
- Crusty bread, to serve, optional
The instruction how to make Prawn, fennel and couscous soup
- Place the saffron in a heatproof bowl and cover with boiling water. Set aside, covered, for 10-15 minutes to infuse.
- Finely chop 1 leek. Halve and thinly slice remaining leek. Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the fennel and chilli. Cook, stirring, for 30 seconds or until aromatic. Add the shallot, celery, carrot and finely chopped leek. Season. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until soft.
- Add the wine. Simmer for 1 minute or until slightly reduced. Add the stock, saffron mixture, tarragon, bay leaves and lemon rind. Bring to the boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer, covered, for 20 minutes to develop the flavours.
- Strain stock through a sieve into a heatproof bowl. Push on the solids with the back of a wooden spoon to extract as much liquid as possible. Discard solids. Wipe saucepan clean with paper towel.
- Heat remaining oil in pan over medium-low heat. Add sliced leek. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes until soft. Add capsicum. Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes or until just soft. Add stock. Bring to a simmer. Add couscous. Simmer for 4 minutes. Add prawns. Simmer for 3 minutes or until prawns change colour and couscous is tender. Season.
- Ladle soup among serving bowls. Sprinkle with extra tarragon. Serve with the lemon wedges and crusty bread, if using.
Nutritions of Prawn, fennel and couscous soupcalories: 768.146 calories
calories: 21.3 grams fat
calories: 3.9 grams saturated fat
calories: 55.2 grams carbohydrates
calories: 7.4 grams sugar
calories: 70.5 grams protein
calories: 529 milligrams cholesterol
calories: 1043 milligrams sodium