Crunchy croutons go a treat with this classic pumpkin soup.
The ingredient of Pumpkin soup with caraway croutons
- 60ml (1/4 cup) peanut oil
- 2 brown onions, halved, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp ground coriander
- 800g butternut pumpkin, halved, deseeded, peeled, cut into 3cm pieces
- 1L (4 cups) Massel chicken style liquid stock (see notes)
- 1/2 Turkish pide, ends trimmed, cut into 2cm cubes
- 1 tbsp caraway seeds
- 125ml (1/2 cup) thickened cream
- Pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh chives
The instruction how to make Pumpkin soup with caraway croutons
- Preheat oven to 180u00b0C. Heat half the oil in a large heavy-based saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes or until onion softens. Add the cumin and coriander and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds or until fragrant.
- Add the pumpkin and stir to coat in the onion mixture. Add the stock and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes or until pumpkin is soft. Remove from heat. Set aside for 5 minutes to cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, place the pide in a large roasting pan. Drizzle with remaining oil and sprinkle with caraway seeds. Gently toss to evenly coat. Bake in preheated oven for 5 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven and set aside.
- Place half the pumpkin mixture in the jug of a blender and blend until smooth. Strain through a fine chinois strainer into a clean saucepan. Repeat with the remaining pumpkin mixture. Place soup over low heat and bring to a simmer.
- Stir in the cream. Taste and season with salt. Ladle among serving bowls and sprinkle with chives. Serve immediately with caraway croutons.
Nutritions of Pumpkin soup with caraway croutonscalories: