Whet your appetite with this beautiful Turkish-inspired recipe.
The ingredient of Silverbeet and feta pide
- 250ml (1 cup) milk
- 60g butter, chopped
- 1 1/2 tablespoons caster sugar
- 7g sachet dried yeast
- 675g (4 1/2 cups) plain flour
- 1 egg yolk
- 300g (2 cups) kashkaval cheese, grated
- 600g silverbeet
- 2 1/2 tablespoons extra virgin olive
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 60g (1/2 cup) sultanas
- 600g English spinach
- 200g feta, crumbled
The instruction how to make Silverbeet and feta pide
- To make filling: Trim 6cm from stems of silverbeet and discard, then finely chop remaining stems and roughly chop leaves. Heat extra virgin olive oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add large onion and garlic cloves and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until softened. Add sultanas and silverbeet stems. Cover the pan and cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes or until stems are soft. Trim 3cm from stems of English spinach and discard. Roughly chop stems and leaves, and add to the pan with silverbeet leaves. Cover and cook for 3 minutes or until spinach is wilted. Season with salt and pepper. Cool. Drain excess liquid, then stir in crumbled feta.
- To make pide dough, warm milk and butter in a small saucepan over low heat for 3 minutes or until butter melts and mixture is lukewarm. Set aside.
- Combine sugar and 125ml (1/2 cup) lukewarm water in a small bowl, then scatter over yeast. Set aside for 8 minutes or until foamy.
- Combine milk and yeast mixtures in a large bowl, add flour and 2 teaspoons salt, then stir to form a dough. Turn out onto a lightly floured work surface and knead for 6 minutes or until smooth and elastic. Roll into a ball, place in an oiled bowl and turn to coat. Cover with plastic wrap and set aside in a warm place to prove for 1 hour or until doubled in size.
- To make an egg wash for pide, whisk egg yolk with 1 1/2 tablespoons water. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 200C. Lightly grease 2 large oven trays. On a lightly floured work surface, knock down dough and divide into 8. Working with one portion at a time, roll into a 16cm x 25cm oval. Place 1/4 cup cheese in the centre, then top with one-eighth of the filling, leaving a 2.5cm border around the edge. Brush border with egg wash, then pull dough up and fold over to partially cover the filling. Pleat edge, then press down firmly. Brush dough with egg wash and transfer to trays. Bake, swapping trays halfway, for 20 minutes or until golden.
- Slice or serve whole immediately.
Nutritions of Silverbeet and feta pidecalories: