Besides being healthy and budget-friendly, lentils make a great low-fat alternative to traditional lasagne fillings.
The ingredient of Lentil and spinach lasagne
- olive oil cooking spray
- 1 brown onion, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled, finely chopped
- 2 sticks celery, finely chopped
- 1 small green capsicum, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 x 400g cans diced tomatoes
- 2/3 cup dry red lentils, rinsed
- 2 cups Massel vegetable liquid stock
- 2 cups basil leaves, roughly chopped
- 1 bunch English spinach, washed, chopped
- 250g packet dried lasagne pasta sheets
- 1 cup skim milk
- 1 1/2 tablespoons plain flour
- pinch nutmeg
- 500g low-fat cottage cheese
- 80g low-fat vintage cheddar cheese, grated
The instruction how to make Lentil and spinach lasagne
- Spray a large saucepan with oil. Heat over medium heat. Add onion, carrot, celery and capsicum. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 8 minutes or until soft. Add garlic, tomatoes, lentils and stock. Bring to the boil.
- Reduce heat to low. Cover. Simmer for 20 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes. Remove lid. Simmer for a further 10 minutes or until liquid has reduced and lentils soft. Remove from heat. Stir in basil and spinach.
- Meanwhile, make topping: Whisk 2 tablespoons milk and flour in a saucepan until smooth. Stir in remaining milk. Place over low heat. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until sauce boils. Season with salt, pepper and nutmeg. Set aside. Cover surface with plastic wrap.
- Preheat oven to 180u00b0C. Grease a 6cm deep, 26cm x 32cm (base) baking dish. Spread 1 spoonful lentil sauce over dish. Cover with 1 layer pasta sheets. Spoon over half the lentil sauce. Repeat pasta and sauce layers, finishing with pasta.
- Stir cottage cheese into topping. Spread over lasagne. Sprinkle with cheddar. Bake, uncovered, for 1 hour or until golden. Stand for 10 minutes. Serve.
Nutritions of Lentil and spinach lasagnecalories: 446.213 calories
calories: 10 grams fat
calories: 5 grams saturated fat
calories: 52 grams carbohydrates
calories: 10 grams sugar
calories: 33 grams protein
calories: 29 milligrams cholesterol
calories: 740.6 milligrams sodium